Villa De Teguise

October 5, 2012 | By | Reply More

 

Villa De Teguise

Teguise was the historic capital of the island of Lanzarote until 1852. The name Teguise takes its name from the young princess daugther of the last king of the indigenous Guadarfía. This young princess later became the wife of Mariot de Bethencourt, nephew of the conqueror Jean de Bethencourt.

The city had prosperity and rapid economic growth, which suffered numerous attacks by pirates, and robbers during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

The Real Villa de Teguise (House of the King) is the core of the city and because of its historical legacy has been declared a historical architectural – artistic and protected heritage site.

All Sundays from 9.00 to 14.00 one of the largest flea market in Lanzarote is held in the area surrounding this villa. Locals and Tourists can buy almost anything including bargains of handicraft and local handicraft.

 

Tags:

Category: SIGHT SEEING, Teguise (Costa Teguise)

Leave a Reply

*